Greetings from the Flight Deck—Welcome Aboard!

…Join me on an adventure. A journey. A celebration of flight, regaling tales of world travel, and musings on the “ups n downs” of the rarely lucrative but always rich airline pilot career!

Follow the Adventure

Follow the Adventure...

Join this Site!

Followers

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

INTERLUDE: Awesome links, Upcoming Posts, and Neil!



NEIL A. ARMSTRONG, 1930-2012
http://neilarmstronginfo.com



Hurricane Isaac bears down on Misstwa.blogspot.com !


(Note: This post is dedicated to Miss TWA (misstwa.blogspot.com), who AS WE SPEAK is suffering through Hurricane Isaac in MSY!!  Miss T, I hope you have enough power--and internet--left to snag this post for a little entertainment while the hatches are battened down!)

A USAirways A320 drops out of warp next to the moon, descending via the Eagle 5 Arrival to PHX...


All,
Apologies to the sporadic posts of late.  I’ve been flying my buttski off!!  I try to post regularly, at least once/week, with major posts every 2 weeks.


Overflying SNA...
The good news is, I’ve been diving into the archives and have found a treasure trove of flyin’ stories--including several published magazine articles for y’all, from Arizona Highways, Plane & Pilot and AOPA PIlot to name a few!  The bad news:  they need to be scanned into the ‘puter ‘n reworked!
...enroute to LGB
Some upcoming gems to look forward to:
— Several “There I Wuz! Stories, including:
*Gone with the Hurricane”--true story of Cap’n Aux’s bout with Ma Nature at her worst, while flying for the Virgin Islands Seaplane Shuttle (not to upstage Miss TWA’s hurricane drama, unfolding as we speak!!)
*Grand Crisis over Grand Canyon” (originally published as "Trickledown" in AOPA PIlot)
*The Case of the Missing NOTAM” (originally published as "Listen Up!" in Plane & Pilot)
— “Around the World in 80 Jumpseats" (nearly published in Smithsonian Air & Space)
—Myriad cartoons (yes I doodle, lol!) that I've tried to ply to everyone from ALPA Magazine to Playboy
Lastly--and I’m very excited about this--I’m creating a new blog for my novel, “Bush Pilot Stories,” an aviation adventure inspired by my time flying the bush in Alaska!
The gorgeous SoCal Coast, near LGB
I’ll be releasing the novel chapter by chapter, as a series of short stories.  The tales are “episodic,” in that each chapter stands alone as its own short story; but, taken as a whole, weaves a wild yarn!  Join me as I regale you with tall tales about bush flying in Alaska, and the larger-than-life pilots who  to this day ply the soggy, frozen skies of the Great White North!
SoCal/LGB from the other side
To whet your appetite, here’s  a short-short story I submitted to a contest once upon a time.  (Can’t even remember if I won...but I should have, lol!!) Yes, it’s “off-topic,” but “short short” and fun!). 

A HOT BATH AT JACKSON'S  
My long, disheveled hair drooped in the chilling downpour. Three days of trail dust, caked on my mangy beard and buckskins, turned to mud. Rain, cold, darkness—I wanted a hot bath. But for a modern-day mountain man, trekking the Rockies like the trappers of 150 years ago, that was a rare luxury.
My horse whinnied in protest. Only Sterling, my dog, seemed to enjoy the day's long ride. We plodded along through the tiny Colorado town.
My partner Pawnee called from behind.
"Hey Buff," he said, "Jackson lives up here somewhere." 
We searched the mailbox names for "Jackson," the man who promised us shelter—and a hot  bath—for the night.
A fierce growl pierced the silence.  From out of the shadows a stray dog lunged at Sterling’s throat. The two hounds tumbled under my horse, which panicked and reared. I slid off and drew my foot- long Bowie knife. With a war cry, I charged the cowardly cur.
"What are you doing!" a timid voice called. 
I turned to see a woman standing on her porch, trembling with fear. The mongrel ran whimpering to her arms.
I stomped toward them, brandishing the huge Bowie.
"Lady," snarled, "you keep your dog away from my animals or I'll eat him for dinner!"
She froze, mouth agape.
I mounted and rode off.
Pawnee sighed.  "Well," he said, "so much for a hot bath."
I looked back and read the name on the woman's mailbox:
JACKSON 
The End
(PS:  This was actually a TRUE STORY--names included--that happened to my big brother Allen!)

Big Brother 'n Mountain Man Allen, with sis Patty
Mountain Man Allen (aka "Buff"--short for "Buffalo") and his new horse!


Finally, here’s an awesome, interactive link to a Nasa site that affords a 360° view of Mars from our newest rover, as well as a link to a moon panorama taken by the latest, greatest astronaut, Neil Armstrong!: http://www.panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html

Oh, and PPS:  Due to a number of requests (2)—well, 2’s a number, isn’t it?!—here’s a pic of da Cap’n in his kilt!
Me 'n Fireman Scotty, jammin' it up at Telluride Bluegrass Fest, Circa 2010.  Wearing the Clan Kincade regalia. And, to answer your question:  if I was wearing undies, IT'D BE CALLED A SKIRT!!!
Cap’n Aux:  Sadly Shattering the Stately Stereotype of the Stoic,  Staid Airline Captain since 2011!

AND IN CLOSING....


Celebrating the life of the late, GREAT Neil A. Armstrong (the A is for AWESOME!!)
Neil Armstrong Apollo first man on the moon biography astronaut
 Here's A fantastic link to other links about Armstrong, his life, great stories, and even a vid of Buzz Aldrin punching out a Moon conspiracy nut!  Hey, who says good ol' fashioned machismo is dead?!?!
And finally:  The Front page of The Onion, supposedly the day Neil 1st walked on the moon--warning:  naughty and irreverent...but F'n hysterical!!
Ten coolest aircraft Neil ever flew!

10 comments:

  1. Hey Cappy.......We are certainly trying to 'batten' down the hatches.......the weather...is going down hill.......rather quickly.....!!!..The reality of the situation......is that we, here in S. Louisiana are going to get it good..!!!!
    and the sun coming out periodically today....only served to lull me into....some sense that it's over and the storm has past..........It's not even to the mouth of the Mississippi River......

    What a 'Lovely' diversion...your 'Interlude'...'Post'....here, and Thank you so much for mentioning....and for any prayers.....sent to us....here..
    The wind is sustained at about 20-30.....mph....at least...!!!.....and so comes the time of a storm....when you start to hear your house make 'noises' you haven't heard since 'Gustav'....for us.......and you find yourself.....holding literally holding your breath.....when the giant gusts come through!!.....Sorry Cap.....I seemed to have hi-jacked your comment box thingie with....
    "Wo-Is-Me.........

    Love the 'Short and Sweet'....story.....So it is a 'True' "Tail"....(pun)...and Allen is really your big brother.....!!!???

    I kinda think of you, as my younger brother..........
    You know
    (younger brother with benefits).......
    ...I ...get to pick on ya good to.......under the "adopted little brother"....Geneva Convention Statute".......LOLOL...♠

    NOW...... if I could only stop you from stealing Big Sissy's "Plaid kilts/skirts(whatever)..." and "White leotards'......get your own damn skirts..........Grrrr.....;)))))))))

    Yes I had put a small 'Memorial' picture of our "HERO".... Neil Armstrong!!!....on my blog.....as well......so sad........another one is gone.......
    I am definetley going to check out the web site for the Mars "Curiosity"......thanks for that too....!!!!!!!!!!
    Take Care....Cappy, and again, my Thanks for the 'shout out' to MissTWA...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, uh, Big Sis with benefits, lol! I know you guys do things differently out there in the Bayou, but....LOL!!!

      Hey, all, by the way, Miss T's reported in on the "backside" of this here Cat 1 Hurricane, so all's well!

      Delete
  2. LGB?? I knew that view looked familiar! And you didn't even look me up! Oh well, you're in JB territory now buddy. Anyway, Isaac is cool. Not too crazy, as I kissed it in the D.R. and again in MCO. Hope Miss TWA is safe near the BIG EASY.

    Ryan THE Pilot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Ryan didn't know u were based there! Was actually my 1st time there! Off today for a IAH turn so gonna grace Isaac's wingtips as well! Lost contact w/Miss T late last night X ur fingers!

      Delete
  3. Hey Cap......Hey Ryan................Turns out... it's "TRUE"............
    I'm still Alive........!!!
    Well don't go slapping each other on the back, just yet......

    under mandatory 'curfew'........until the storm is completely gone.....and my Heart goes out to my fellow Louisiana's in lower Plaquemine's Parish...and those on the Mississippi Gulf coast......!!!!I wish them God-speed.......with the long recovery they will face.....!!!!
    Glad you added another Neil Armstrong....."Acknowledgement".......he deserves his own lovely "Post".......the man was/is a HERO.....!!!!
    Not to mention the link you put from The Onion.......OH HOLY YEA that link is pee the pants funny!!!!!!!!!!
    I advise any one....that visits here.......to click on the "The Onion"....to read what really was said between 'tranquility base and Houston'......during those tense first moments on the moon surface........OMF*ckingG.......!!!

    Seriously......Cappy and Ryan......2 of my most Favorite "Pilots".....in the whole wide world............;)))))........no really..
    Thank you....for all your well wishes...and concern.........during this storm.......!!......
    and as far as the......lovely
    "Kincade regalia"...."Kilt".....Cap is wearing during the "Telluride bluegrass festival"........
    Are you sure it wasn't the "Mrs. Doubtfire"....family reunion..............just asking.......Jeezus.....You've been so "testy" lately......damn panyhose choking off the blood.........
    Have a Great time on Vaca.....Lil bro........;)))))






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha glad u r digging out Dear! Wx is loooovely down here in Isla Mujeres--looking forward to a week of diving adventures with the Whalesharks!

      Delete
  4. How "Cool"...........to hear Neil Armstrong's Famous line of all time........while here....visiting...!!

    ReplyDelete

  5. visit a good blog and full of interesting information that is happiness itself .... keep on sharing information

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, folks, due to more spamming, Word Verification is back on. If you have trouble posting, please email your comments to me and I will post it for you!

capnaux@gmail.com